Category: Elsewhere Links
- Yes, we have friends. Ok, *internet* friends. – hello my european neighbors! while you're waiting for us to come back over there, why not go check out our buds The Rebel Spell who are currently driving around your continent being the best currently existing punk band from Canada that isn't us. Haha. Check out these tour dates and go support them. Tell them Chris sent you. Each time they hear that, they owe me a beer.
2nd Leg: Remaining UK Dates
Nov 6 - Bristol @ The Red Lion w/ Kilnaboy
Nov 7 - Derby @ The Hairy Dog
Nov 8 - Sheffield @ Riverside w/ The Restarts
Nov 9 - Leeds @ Temple of Doom w/ The Restarts
Nov 10 - London @ Grosvenor (Stockwell) w/ The Restarts
3rd Leg (France/Holland w/ Antillectual)
Nov 13 - Paris @ La Miroiterie
Nov 14 - Schwäbisch Gmünd @ Esperanza
Nov 15 - Dijon @ Deep Inside
Nov 16 - Blois @ Bureau Blois
Nov 17 - Lille @ L'Imposture
4th Leg (Germany w/ Spanner)
Nov 18 - TBA! Coming soon!
Nov 19 - Hamburg @ Gängeviertel
Nov 20 - Potsdam @ Black Fleck
Nov 21 - Dresdan @ Jugendtanz
Nov 22 - Giessen @ AK44
Nov 23 - Düsseldorf @ Linkes Centrum
Also, another internet buddy of ours, Jamie Kilstein, has a new comedy record out. He's a funny guy. A vegan, pro-feminist, jiu-jitsu loving, tyranny-hating funny guy. Check it out. I don't think he'll buy me beers though. sad face.
(11/07/13 by Jesus H. Chris #)
- Failed States Tab Book Coming Soon – And this time with lyrics! Check it out here.
(10/05/12 by The Rod #)
- Yekaterina Samutsevich: Closing Statement at the Pussy Riot Trial. – "I now have mixed feelings about this trial. On the one hand, we now expect a guilty verdict. Compared to the judicial machine, we are nobodies, and we have lost. On the other hand, we have won. Now the whole world sees that the criminal case against us has been fabricated."
See Yekaterina's full statement here. (08/09/12 by The Rod #)
- Escape Velocity Radio – You really need to hear the interview Todd and I did with Anishinabe journalist/ hip-hop artist Wab Kinew that appears on Escape Velocity Radio, a new podcast featuring me, Chris Hannah, as your host! Oh, it also features Derek Hogue as a co-host but no one cares about him or what he thinks. (08/09/12 by Jesus H. Chris #)
- Support Russian Band PUSSY RIOT! – freepussyriot.org is a website to support Russian feminist performance art group, Pussy Riot. Three members of the group are being held in a Russian jail under completely inhumane conditions. They face 7 years in jail for a 1-minute performance in a priests-only section of Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior. The song they performed is a critique of the relationship between the Russian government and the Catholic Church of Russia. Apparently special treatment for the church is of more importance than freedom, humanity and justice. (08/01/12 by The Rod #)
- Muuxi In The House! – Hi everybody! Check out this article on my friend, Muuxi Adam, who has started an organization called Human Kind International to help build the first ever Early Childhood Center in Dadaab Refugee Camp, Kenya. Muuxi has an amazing personal story and is a totally committed and inspiring social activist. If you feel inspired to get involved with Muuxi and Human Kind International, please do! (07/17/12 by The Rod #)
- The music world has lost a great and talented musican. – I want to send out a message of respect and to honour Rob Doherty (Final Darkness, Pericardium, Into Eternity) who just passed away. Roughly 20 years ago I started watching Rob in his first band Metalist and I totally loved the last recording he did with his new band Final Darkness. The last song on the Final Darkness record was a cover of Razor's "Evil Invaders" so he definitely went out rocking as hard as he started. We'll miss you, man.
(05/05/12 by The Rod #)
- Wab Kinew – Local artist and broadcaster Wab Kinew tells it like it is on the Strombo show. (01/12/12 by Jesus H. Chris #)
- CBC’s Kevin O’Leary gets schooled on Occupy Wall Street movement by Chris Hedges – Lookit! (10/11/11 by The Rod #)
- Two worlds Colliding. – Check out this movie 'Two World's Colliding' from the National Film Board Of Canada. This documentary chronicles the story of Darrell Night, a Native man who was dumped by 2 police officers in -20° C temperatures in a barren field on the outskirts of Saskatoon in January 2000. He found shelter at a nearby power station and survived the ordeal, but he was stunned to hear that the frozen body of another Aboriginal man was discovered in the same area. Days later, another victim, also Native, was found.
This film is an inquiry into what came to be known as Saskatoon's infamous "freezing deaths," and the schism between a fearful, mistrustful Aboriginal community and a police force that must come to terms with a shocking secret. (09/14/11 by The Rod #)
- Nicolas Merritt Plays “Coaches Corner” – A young little man plays "Coaches Corner" on the drums! Right on! (09/04/11 by The Rod #)
- Mexico’s Permaculture Punks. – This is awesome. I love seeing people getting out there and using what's around them to make the world a bit better. (08/20/11 by The Rod #)
- ‘Supporting Caste’ Guitar Tab Book Is In The Works! – Our Friend Luke and Tim from the band Protest The Hero and Sheet Happens are helping us make a guitar and bass tab book for the "Supporting Caste" record, we hope it will be released this fall. So far it's a pretty cool experience trying to make a book like this. Chris and I are just getting started on our share of the tabbing but Beaver is almost finished. Get your fingers ready to rock! (07/25/11 by The Rod #)
- July 22nd is Fragile X Awareness Day! – What is Fragile X? Well, to be honest I had no idea until today. My brother, who's an all around good guy, has contacted me about helping to raise some awareness of Fragile X Syndrome, which I now know is the number one cause of inherited mental impairment and the most common known genetic autism, and he asked me to help spread the word to the ever intelligent Propagandhi listeners so that's exactly what I'm doing! Check it out http://www.fragilexsask.ca/index.html. Godamn!! I couldn't get the link to work so cut and paste it my dear people!!!!!! (07/22/11 by The Rod #)
- Silverstein Fucks The Border – Check this cover of Fuck The Border out. Performed better than our version on Today's Empires i have to say! (05/09/11 by Jesus H. Chris #)
- World Day for Lab Animals – Of particular interest to our friends in the UK: http://www.wdail.org/ (04/05/11 by Jesus H. Chris #)
- Scurrilicious! – Hey, our pals in Protest the Hero have a new record coming out that you can stream here. Fuck, can these boys play. It's absurd. In my continuing attempt to hitch my wagon to other bands stars, check out the 3 seconds -- literally, 3 seconds -- of me attempting to not sound like Tiny Tim on the last track, entitled "Sex Tapes". Appropriately, the song is about people jerking off to naked pictures on the internet, of which i have been continuously accused of FOR NO REASON AT ALL. (03/15/11 by Jesus H. Chris #)
- The Banger’s Embrace II – Check out this most awesome of interviews with Rob Urbinati of the mighty Sacrifice (subjects of our song "The Banger's Embrace"), giving the straight goods on their place in Canadian heavy metal history. This interview actually brought joy to our lives! And Go Leafs Go! (03/10/11 by Jesus H. Chris #)
- Call * Response – Our pal Nathan "The Terror" Terin has put together a pretty neat (and professional!) LP-sized book of photos and stories about the Winnipeg music-scene, past and present. Of particular note/ enjoyment is the fact that every picture of Propagandhi in it has Beave cut out of the frame...except one where you get a real nice view of his buns. Haha. It's a fundraiser for a national youth-counselling phone service, so if you're interested, go here and pick one up! Good work Nathan! (02/22/11 by Jesus H. Chris #)
- RIP Reid English – A kind fella just let us know via email the sad news that Reid English of the legendary Toronto hardcore band Sudden Impact shuffled off this mortal coil recently. They were another highly influential band for us back when we were starting out. I remember the day me and Jordy-Boy took the Greyhound into Winnipeg in 1985 and picked up their "No Rest From the Wicked" LP along with a little LP called "Torment in Fire" by a then-brand-new band called Sacrifice. It's was one of the few records from the era that truly stood the test of time. Gonna crank it tonight and Get Bent. RIP Reid. (01/18/11 by Jesus H. Chris #)